Beliefs About Forced Sex is a 13-item measure of an individual's beliefs regarding forced sex, covering nine advantages and four disadvantages associated with forced sex.
Geographies Tested: South Africa
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents
1. Lets boys show that they really love their partner.
2. Helps boys to satisfy their sexual urge.
3. Allows boys to show that they are real men.
4. Is a good way to discipline a woman.
5. This is a man’s right when he has a girlfriend.
6. Is justified because girls do not listen well to a boy’s need to have sex.
7. This is not a problem if a girl visits a boy at his home.
8. This is not a problem if a girl is dressed sexy.
9. This is not a problem if the girl is financially dependent on the boy.
10. For a boy to force a girl to have sex is wrong.
11. If a boy forces a girl to have sex, he is a rapist.
12. The boy may get arrested as it is against the law.
13. The boy may have to go to jail.
5-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 5
De Vries, H., Eggers, S. M., Jinabhai, C., Meyer-Weitz, A., Sathiparsad, R., & Taylor, M. (2014). Adolescents' beliefs about forced sex in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43(6), 1087-1095. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-014-0280-8
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers