The Demographic and Health Survey Phase 8 (DHS-8): Contraception includes 9 items from the Women's Questionnaire measuring an individual’s experience with using contraception. Different aspects captured include types of contraceptive methods used (reversible vs. permanent and modern vs. traditional) and how long they have been utilized. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Angola,Burkina Faso,Cambodia,Cameroon,Cote d'Ivoire,Ethiopia,Ghana,Guatemala,Guinea,Kenya,Madagascar,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Nepal,Rwanda,Senegal,The Gambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
1. Are you or your partner currently doing something or using any method to delay or avoid getting pregnant?
2. Are you or your partner sterilized? (Probe: Who is sterilized, you or your partner?)
Yes, respondent sterilized only
Yes, partner sterilized only
Yes, both sterilized
No, neither sterilized
3. Just to check, are you or your partner doing any of the following to avoid pregnancy: deliberately avoiding sex on certain days, using a condom, using withdrawal or using emergency contraception?
4. Which method are you using? [RECORD ALL MENTIONED]
Standard days method
Lactational amenorrhea method
Other modern method
Other traditional method
5. What is the brand name of the pills you are using?
6. What is the brand name of the condoms you are using? (For 5-6: If participants don’t know the brand, ask to see the package.)
Other (Additionally, specify in text)
7. In what facility did the sterilization take place? (Probe to identify the type of source)
8. In what month and year was the sterilization performed?
9. Since what month and year have you been using (current method) without stopping? (Probe for 9: For how long have you been using (current method) now without stopping?)
2-digit numeric value(_month)
4-digit numeric value(_year)
Demographic and Health Surveys (2019). Demographic and Health Surveys: Women's Questionnaire. https://dhsprogram.com/publications/publication-DHSQ8-DHS-Questionnaires-and-Manuals.cfm
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers