Jordan Labor Market Panel Survey: Employment uses 24, self-reported items from the 2016 Jordan Labor Market Survey, which is a nationally representative, multi-dimensional survey conducted across Jordan. This measure captures aspects around employment and unemployment. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Jordan
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults, Children
1. Have you participated in any employment during the past seven days? (Even if he worked for only one hour)
2. Were you attached to a job in the past 7 days but were temporarily absent from it?
3. Did you participate in one of the following activities during the past seven days with the purpose of salesmarketingearning wagehelping in a family business (even if for a short period or irregularly)?
a. agricultural work (e.g., harvesting, cutting clover, irrigation)
b. raising poultrylivestock
c. producing gheecheesebutter
d. preparing foodvegetables
e. producing straw productscarpetstextileropes
f. offering part-time services for others in a houseshophotel
g. street seller
h. construction worker
i. collecting fuelwoodcutting
k. sales & marketing
m. working from home (IT programmers, etc.)
4. Did you want to work during the past seven days?
5. If there were a suitable job available, would you be able to start work within two weeks?
6.Why are you not wanting or not available to work?
Full time student
Does not want to work
Temporarily unable to work (disability)
Permanently unable to work (disability)
7.What is the reason you worked less than 35 hours per week?
Required by job conditions
No work available work for more hours
Pay is not rewarding enough
Don't want to work more time
Temporary absence from work
Other (specify) ___
8. Why have you NOT been working during the past seven days? Select both the main and secondary reason.
No work available at all
No work suitable to experience and qualification is available
No work with suitable pay is available
No work in a suitable organization or firm is available
No work in suitable location is available
Cannot afford housing or moving expenses to go where jobs are available
Concerned about insecurity on way to work
Don't know (secondary reason only)
9. What is the main reason you did not search for work in the past four weeks? Select both the main and secondary reason.
Believe there are no jobs
Tired of looking for jobs
Employers prefer males to females in hiring and vice versa
Do not know an effective way to look for a job
No suitable job
Do not have the required experience
Lack of personal connections
Because of studying
Do not need work
Health conditions do not allow
Opposition of a family member
Don't know (secondary reason only)
10. Did you participate in any employment during the past three months?
11. Did you participate in one of the following activities during the past three months with the purpose of salesmarketingearning wagehelping in a family business (even if for a short period or irregularly)?
Agricultural work (e.g., harvesting, cutting clover, irrigation)
Producing straw productscarpetstextileropes
Offering part-time services for others in a houseshophotel
Sales & marketing
Working from home (IT programmers, etc.)
12. Have you ever worked or participated in any of the previous activities or any other work ever before in your life? Only counts if more than 6 months
13. Have you ever in your life searched for work, registered with an employment office, or participated in a employment competition?
14. Do you work in a fixed place or establishment?
15. Does your job requires supervising others?
16. Does your job requires any technical skills?
17. How stable is your job?
18. Is your job permanent or temporary?
19. Is your job intermittent or seasonal?
20. Do you sometimes work at night (after 7pm)?
21. What is the percent of female employees?
Less than quarter
Quarter to half
More than half
22. Do you have social insurance connected to this job?
23. When you worked for the first time for longer than six months, were you in school? (If currently working for the first time and worked for <6 months ask about current position)
24. How many times have you been promoted since you joined your current employment? Note: a promotion is a change in title
Three times or more
Jordan Labor Market Survey. (2016). Individual Questionnaire. http://www.erfdataportal.com/index.php/catalog/139
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers