Attitudes Toward Gender Equity in the Family and Marital Relationships Index is a 6-item measure of gender equitable beliefs held among couples.
Geographies Tested: Vietnam
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. It is better for everyone if the husband is the breadwinner and the wife takes care of the home and family.
2. Men are more capable than women.
3. The husband should have the final say in all family matters.
4. Men's work is more important than women's work.
5. The husband's opinion is more important than the wife's opinion.
6. People say, "A weak buffalo is stronger than a strong cow," therefore it is very important to keep the husband healthy, the wife's health is less important.
Disagree - 1
Agree - 0
1 point was given to each question that reflects an equitable response. The items are summed to create an index score from 0-6 with 0 representing the most gender inequitable attitudes and 6 the most equitable.
Luke, N., Schuler, S. R., Mai, B. T. T., Thien, P. V., & Minh, T. H. (2007). Exploring couple attributes and attitudes and marital violence in Vietnam. Violence Against Women, 13(1), 5-27. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801206295112
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers