The Study on Global Ageing and Adult Health 2014 Wave 2-Mexico: Caregiving for Adults, includes 12 items on caregiving for adults in the household. The original questionnaire has other questions to assess schools, not listed here. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Mexico
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Over the last 12 months, have any members of your householdcompound, adults or children, needed care for any reason? This could include financial or emotional support, physical, health or personal care.
1. How many needed care?
Please tell me about the adults needing and receiving care in the last 12 months. For each person:
2. What is your relationship to this person? The person iswas your
Spousepartner - 2
DaughterSon - 3
Daughter- or Son-in-law - 4
Grandchild - 5
Parent - 6
Parent-in-law - 7
BrotherSister - 8
Other relative, adult (e.g. cousin) - 11
Not related, Adult - 12
3. Is this person dead or alive?
Alive - 1
Dead - 2
Don’t know - 88
4. Why doesdid this person need care or support (or: why did this person die?)
Non health-related - 1
HIVAIDS-related - 2
Other health-related reason - 3
Physical impairmentdisability - 4
Mental impairmentdisability - 5
5. Who is or was the main person providing care for this adult? Is it you yourself, someone else in this household, or someone outside of this household?
Respondent - 1
Someone else in HH - 2
Someone outside HH - 3
6. Even if you were not the main caregiver, diddo you provide care or support to this person?
Yes - 1
No - 2
7. For how long have you been providing care? (over the last 12 months)
Less than 30 days
1 to 3 months
More than 3 months but less than 6 months
6 months or more
8. What type of support was provided? (choose all that apply)
Financial - 1
SocialEmotional - 2
Health - 3
Physical - 4
Personal - 5
9. Iswas support and care generally provided
Daily - 1
Several days per week - 2
Once per week - 3
Once per month - 4
Occasionally, as needed - 5
10. How much supportcare does this person require?
Regular help to do most things - 1
Regular help to do specific activities - 2
Occasional help with most things - 3
Occasional help with specific activities - 4
Other - 5
11. About how much time per week on average diddo you spend providing supportcare for this adult?
By hours: ____
By minutes: ____
Don’t know – 88:88
12. How much difficulty did you have with providing this supportcare?
None - 1
Mild - 2
Moderate - 3
Severe - 4
Extreme or could not do - 5
Salinas-Rodriguez, A., & Manrique-Espinoza, B. S. (2016). Mexico - Study on Global Ageing and Adult Health-2014, Wave 2. https://apps.who.int/healthinfo/systems/surveydata/index.php/catalog/212
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers