Abortion Policy Polling Questions is a 9-item measure of public opinions regarding current and future abortion policy in the United States. Items are divided into two subscales: General Support and Conditional Support.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female
Age Range: Adults
1. Please tell me whether or not you think it should be possible for a pregnant woman to obtain a legal abortion if she is married and does not want more children?
2. Please tell me whether or not you think it should be possible for a pregnant woman to obtain a legal abortion if she is not married?
Yes - 1
No - 3
Don't know - 2
3. Which of the following statements comes closest to your position on abortion?
Legal and generally available - 1
Remain legal... with restrictions so that it is not too easy to get one - 2
Only be legal in cases such as... [maternal health, rape, incest] - 3
Banned and made illegal - 4
4. In the United States, would you say there are...
Too many restrictions on abortion - 1
About the right amount of restrictions - 2
Too few restrictions - 3
5. Below are some statements about the issue of abortion. Please indicate which one comes closest to your own view:
Personally believe having an abortion is acceptable and should be legal - 1
Personally against abortion for myself and my family...but don't believe government should prevent - 2
Personally believe having an abortion is wrong and should be illegal - 3
6. The Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision established a woman's constitutional right to have an abortion. Which of the following statements comes closest to what you would like to see the Supreme Court do regarding its Roe v. Wade decision?
Should be overturned, which would make abortion against the law - 4
Should be overturned - 3
Should not be overturned, which would mean that abortion remains legal - 2
Should not be overturned - 1
7. Please tell me whether or not you think it should be possible for a pregnant woman to obtain a legal abortion if she became pregnant as a result of rape?
8. Please tell me whether or not you think it should be possible for a pregnant woman to obtain a legal abortion if the woman's own health is seriously endangered by the pregnancy?
9. Please tell me whether or not you think it should be possible for a pregnant woman to obtain a legal abortion if there is a strong chance of serious defect in the baby?
Yes - 1
No - 3
Don't know - 2
Item scores are summed and then averaged for each subscale. Scores can be dichotomized into less favorable (less than 3) and more favorable for each General Support and Conditional Support.
Cutler, A. S., Lundsberg, L. S., White, M. A., Stanwood, N. L., & Gariepy, A. M. (2021). Characterizing community-level abortion stigma in the United States. Contraception. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2021.03.021
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers