Sexual Conflicts is a 9-item measure of respondents' level of disagreements and tension between relationship partners about sex.
Geographies Tested: United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. My partner wants sex a lot more than I want it.
2. Sometimes I wish my partner would just leave me alone sexually.
3. I don't initiate because my partner doesn't give me a chance to.
4. I'm not interested in sex so much as my partner is.
5. It has to be my partner's way or no way when it comes to sex.
6. It's really hard for me to say what I want sexually.
7. When I initiate sex, it hurts my partner's feelings.
8. I won't initiate sex because I get rejected.
9. I often say 'no' when my partner wants to try new things.
6-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 6
The mean of the item scores is calculated for the total measure score. Higher scores indicate greater greater discord in the sexual relationship.
O'Sullivan, L. F., Hoffman, S., Harrison, A., & Dolezal, C. (2006). Men, multiple sexual partners, and young adults' sexual relationships: Understanding the role of gender in the study of risk. Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), 695-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers