Hyper-Romanticism is a 6-item measure that assesses strongly expressed beliefs in romance and the power of an intimate relationship.
Geographies Tested: South Africa
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. If I did not have a partner at all, I would not feel like a real person.
2. I need someone who is going to love me.
3. I cannot live without my partner for even 1 day.
4. I don’t think a person can survive without having someone to love.
5. I would die for my love.
6. I put all my hopes in my boyfriendgirlfriend.
A 4-point Likert scale
Strongly disagree - 1
Strongly agree - 4
Harrison, A., O'Sullivan, L. F., Hoffman, S., Dolezal, C., & Morrell, R. (2006). Gender role and relationship norms among young adults in South Africa: Measuring the context of masculinity and HIV risk. Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), 709-722. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9077-y
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers