Big Five Inventory-2-Short Form(BFI-2-S) is a 30-item, short form of the Big Five Inventory-2. This measure assesses the Big Five personality domains and 15 more specific facet traits.
Geographies Tested: Australia,Canada,New Zealand,United Kingdom,United States of America
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
Here are a number if characteristics that may or may not apply to you. For example, do you agree that you are someone who likes to spend time with others? Please write a number next to each statement to indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with that statement.
I am someone who...
1. Tends to be quiet.*
2. Is compassionate, has a soft heart.
3. Tends to be disorganized.*
4. Worries a lot.
5. Is fascinated by art, music, or literature.
6. Is dominant, acts as a leader.
7. Is sometimes rude to others.*
8. Has difficulty getting started on tasks.*
9. Tends to feel depressed, blue.
10. Has little interest in abstract ideas.*
11. Is full of energy.
12. Assume the best about people.
13. Is reliable, can always be counted on.
14. Is emotionally stable, not easily upset.*
15. Is original, comes up with new ideas.
16. Is outgoing, sociable.
17. Can be cold and uncaring.*
18. Keeps things neat and tidy.
19. Is relaxed, handles stress well.*
20. Has few artistic interests.*
21. Prefers to have others take charge.*
22. Is respectful, treats others with respect.
23. Is persistent, works until the task is finished.
24. Feels secure, comfortable with self.*
25. Is complex, a deep thinker.
26. Is less active than other people.*
27. Tends to find fault with others.*
28. Can be somewhat careless.*
29. Is temperamental, gets emotional easily.
30. Has little creativity.*
*Items are reverse scored
Disagree strongly - 1
Disagree a little - 2
Neutral; no opinion - 3
Agree a little - 4
Agree strongly - 5
Two items make up each of the facet scales, within the 5 domains. Corresponding items are:
Socialiability: 1, 16
Assertiveness: 6, 21
Energy level: 11, 26
Compassion: 2, 17
Respectfulness: 7, 22
Trust: 12, 27
Organization: 3, 18
Productiveness: 8, 23
Responsibility: 13, 28
Anxiety: 4, 19
Depression: 9, 24
Emotional volatility: 14, 29
Aesthetic sensitivity: 5, 20
Intellectual curiosity: 10, 25
Creative imagination: 15, 30
Soto, C. J., & John, O. P. (2017). Short and extra-short forms of the Big Five Inventory–2: The BFI-2-S and BFI-2-XS. Journal of Research in Personality, 68, 69-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2017.02.004
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers