The Financial Borrowing measure includes 5 items from the 2017 Global Findex Questionnaire. The items ask respondents about personal or shared experiences borrowing money (i.e., loans) from financial institutions, family, and friends. The 2017 Global Findex Questionnaire is a multi-country survey developed by the World Bank, which aims to capture the condition of financial inclusion globally. Navigational aspects (i.e. skip-out patterns and next question sequences) have not been included on this page but can be viewed on the original questionnaire located here.
Geographies Tested: Afghanistan,Albania,Angola,Argentina,Armenia,Australia,Austria,Azerbaijan,Bahrain,Bangladesh,Belarus,Belgium,Belize,Benin,Bhutan,Bolivia,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Botswana,Brazil,Bulgaria,Burkina Faso,Burundi,Cambodia,Cameroon,Canada,Central African Republic,Chad,Chile,China,Colombia,Comoros,Democratic Republic of the Congo,Republic of the Congo,Costa Rica,Cote d'Ivoire,Croatia,Cyprus,Czech Republic,Denmark,Djibouti,Dominican Republic,Ecuador,Egypt,El Salvador,Estonia,Ethiopia,Finland,France,Gabon,Georgia,Germany,Ghana,Greece,Guatemala,Guinea,Haiti,Honduras,Hungary,India,Indonesia,Iran,Iraq,Ireland,Israel,Italy,Jamaica,Japan,Jordan,Kazakhstan,Kenya,Korea, South,Kosovo,Kuwait,Kyrgyzstan,Laos,Latvia,Lebanon,Lesotho,Liberia,Libya,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Macedonia,Madagascar,Malawi,Malaysia,Mali,Malta,Mauritania,Mauritius,Mexico,Moldova,Mongolia,Montenegro,Morocco,Mozambique,Myanmar (Burma),Namibia,Nepal,Netherlands,New Zealand,Nicaragua,Niger,Nigeria,Norway,Oman,Pakistan,Panama,Paraguay,Peru,Philippines,Poland,Portugal,Qatar,Romania,Russia,Rwanda,Saudi Arabia,Senegal,Serbia,Sierra Leone,Singapore,Slovakia,Slovenia,Somalia,South Africa,South Sudan,Spain,Sri Lanka,Sudan,Swaziland,Sweden,Switzerland,Syria,Taiwan,Tajikistan,Tanzania,Thailand,Togo,Trinidad and Tobago,Tunisia,Turkey,Turkmenistan,Uganda,Ukraine,United Arab Emirates,United Kingdom,United States of America,Uruguay,Uzbekistan,Venezuela,Vietnam,Yemen,Zambia,Zimbabwe
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adults
1. Do you, by yourself or together with someone else, currently have a loan you took out from a bank or another type of formal financial institution to purchase a HOME, APARTMENT, OR LAND?
2. In the PAST 12 MONTHS, have you, by yourself or together with someone else, borrowed money for health or medical purposes?
3. In the PAST 12 MONTHS, have you, by yourself or together with someone else, borrowed money to start, operate, or grow a business or farm?
4. In the PAST 12 MONTHS, have you, by yourself or together with someone else, borrowed any money from any of the following sources? (Read the sources)
5. Have you, by yourself or together with someone else, borrowed money from any source for any reason in the PAST 12 MONTHS?
Yes - 1
No - 2
Don't Know - 3
Refused - 4
The World Bank (2017). 2017 Global Findex Questionnaire. https://globalfindex.worldbank.org/#data_sec_focus
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers