Index of UN Peacekeeper-Perpetrated Sexual Exploitation and Abuse is an 18-item, 8-indicator index to understand the degree to which sexual interactions between local women and United Nations Peacekeepers were abusive or exploitative.
Geographies Tested: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Populations Included: Female, Male
Age Range: Adolescents, Adults
Read the following three story phrases and decide which one interests you most:
a. Think of a women or girl who lives near a UN base. Share a specific story that illustrates the best or worst things for her because of living near the base.
b. Think of a women or girl who has interacted with UN personnel in the community. Share a specific example of a positive or negative experience that she has had as a result of her interaction with UN personnel.
c. Think of a women or girl in a community that hosts a peacekeeping mission. Tell a story about how the presence of UN workers has helped or harmed her.
1. The story is about:
Lack of protection
2. What was the nature of the interaction in the story?
3. In the story, it would have helped the women most to have support from:
NGO or civil society organizations
UN or MONUSCO
Local chiefs and communities
4. In the story who was responsible for the events:
Individual Girl or Woman
UN or MONUSCO
5. The events in the story were in the best interest of:
6. The Interactions and relation you shared in the story were:
Entirely initiated by foreign UN or MONUSCO personnel
Entirely initiated by the womengirl
7. In the story shared the peacekeeping mission:
Provided the womangirl with too much protection and safety
Put the womangirl at risk or in danger
8. In relation to the woman or girl in your story those in power:
Did nothing to support the womangirl
Provided her with too much support
9. As a result of the interaction with the UN, the social status of the woman or girl was:
Improved too much as a result of the interaction
Diminished as a result of the interaction
10. Who is the story about?
About someone in my family
d. Something I heard or read about
e. Prefer not to say
11. How often do events in your story occur in the community?
All the time
12. What is emotional tone of the story?
Prefer not to say
13. How does the story make you feel?
14. For the woman or girl in the shared story the outcome was:
Completed by the research assistant after the survey completion:
15. Story was about a peace baby
About a peace baby
Mentioned a peace baby
16. Story was about sexual relations:
About sexual relations
Mentioned sexual relations
17. The story was about sexual abuse:
About sexual abuse and exploitation
Mentioned sexual abuse and exploitation
18. Story was about a wrongdoing:
About another wrongdoing.
Mentioned another wrongdoing
The index is calculated by summing the counts for each of the 8 indicators: 1. Peacekeeper primary beneficiary, 2. Occurrence of transactional sex, 3. Identified as sex worker, 4. Unsupported pregnancy occurrence, 5. Non-consensual sexual act, 6. Non-consensual sexual exposure, 7. Peacekeeper primary initiator, and 8. Underage girl. Possible scores range from 0 (no exposure to sexual exploitation and abuse) to 8 (high exposure to sexual exploitation and abuse).
Gray, S., Stuart, H., Lee, S., & Bartels, S. A. (2021). Development of an index to measure the exposure level of UN peacekeeper-perpetrated sexual exploitation/abuse in women/girls in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Violence Against Women, 10778012211045713. https://doi.org/10.1177/10778012211045713
Ease of Use Score
Existing Literature/Theoretical Framework
Field Expert Input
Cognitive Interviews / Pilot Testing
to get the latest updates on new measures and guidance for survey researchers